I don't remember my early enemas probably up to maybe 3 or 4 YO, but my older sister Tess told me she watched mom give me enemas with "the red squeeze thing in my butt" when I was little, and that she seemed proud that she was getting enemas with the hose since she was 6 YO, and liked to think of herself as an expert, even taking them by herself when she could. After getting an enema (it was a surprise as I didn't have any memories of enemas up to then) from a very stern nurse in the hospital at 5 YO, I was hooked! My next enema was from mom a few weeks after the hospital. It was deemed that I was "out of sorts" so I went with her to the large upstairs bathroom where I later learned all enemas were administered to all of us kids while living on our grandparents farm in the 50s.
Mom took out our grandmother's open top red bag and was running water until it was warm, she then used a 16 oz measuring cup (I remember looking at it later and the 16 oz stuck in my memory forever) to put a pint to one and a half pints in the bag. While this was going on I was watching her every move and taking my pants and undies off and putting them on the clothes hamper. Next she hung the bag on a hook next to the window, sat down on the window seat, told me to lay across her lap,she reached for the hose from the top of the bag, squirted a little in the sink, put Vaseline on the end, inserted the nozzle, reached for the clamp and CLICK! I'm getting my first hose enema from mom! I watched the whole prep, I could see the insertion and her reach for the clamp as there was a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door.
I watched many preparations and administrations for not only mine but my three sisters too. My older sister Tess and I would crouch down on the porch roof by the window and got to see many enemas prepared and administrated to our sisters, cousins and each other over the 9 to 10 years we lived on the farm. So yes, I got to watch every detail of preparation when mom or our grandmother gave one of us enemas!
At 76 YO I can't believe that I can remember all that happened in such detail! I guess our early enema days will live forever in our memories.
I'm still LostInThe50s!