I can recall my RT getting taken from age two to five, and at least once- maybe twice when I first turned six.
It was always in an exam room, and I felt humiliated by it. I just bowed my head and did as told.
My mother was the one to be told by the nurse, not me. Sometimes my mother would simply be instructed to “unfasten his pants please;” sometimes it was “remove everything on him from the waist down please.” Once in a while it would be “remove his pants, but you can leave underpants on.”
Between the age of two and three, I can clearly remember being over my mother’s lap with my bottoms lowered as she held the thermometer in me.
If I was actually spoken to, and not over- it would be, “let’s see that bottom of yours and get a temp on you.”
I did whatever I was told to do, and it was humiliating every single time.
It was also quite confusing for me when they finally went oral, and I actually missed the being exposed, and also the procedure. I never would’ve guessed I’d be disappointed about not having to offer up my bare bottom to people I did not know, but disappointed I was.