My experience may not be typical because it was a Navy hospital on a Marine Corps base in the late 1980's, and the military has always done it's own thing.
I experienced a major bout of depression. (The causes are irrelevant here) My roommate notice I was acting "off" and reported it to our boss (The Battalion surgeon) He called me into his office and we had a chat. He discovered I had suicidal ideations, and he, in turn, sent me to the division psychiatrist. We had a rather extensive interview, and he decided I should have some inpatient observation/therapy. By now, it was after "normal" working hours, but I went over to the hospital and up to the locked ward. I was brought to a room (no door) and a nurse asked me a bunch of questions then had me strip completely and put my uniform into a bag. (She was an officer, and I was so down I didn't care.) She gave me a thorough skin exam, noting every scar, mole, and birthmark. When she finished, she left then returned with a cup and told me I needed a urine sample and followed me into the bathroom to supervise the collection (The bathroom had a metal mirror and no door.) and drew some labs. I was given a bathrobe (which was my only clothing) She informed me that strict military disciple would be enforced on this ward. (Not unkindly, but in a tone that would brook no argument.) Soon I was given my first meal. All paper plates and cups and plastic utensils. Every inch of the room and bathroom was visible from the nurse's station. About 9:00PM or so, it was lights out.
The next morning, after reveille (fortunately, they did NOT do the bugle call, just announcement over the PA.) about 6:00AM, I was given breakfast. After breakfast, then my morning vitals were taken, and shortly after, the nurse brought in the doctor. We had a bit of a hi-how-are-you-what's the problem interview, then he led me to an exam room of sorts. (I believe it was a supply room in a former life. He had me remove my robe and I was nude again.
He began to do what was probably the most complete physical I ever had. He did the whole HEENT, auscultation, abdominal, reflexes (including cremasteric) and a full neuro exam, then had me stand and checked my posture, gait, balance, et al (He was the first person to notice my pelvis was tilted) After that came a complete genital exam followed by a thorough DRE. When done, I was issued some pajamas and interduce into the general ward. For about 2-3 weeks it was a round of meals, PT (Yes, we had to do PT on the ward. No 5-mile runs, but may laps walking around the ward, which took up a full floor) field day, meds, group and individual therapy, and occasional trips out to a fenced in area outside (a 'la "Cuckoo's Nest")